Product Definition (Items – BOM – Routing)
Ensure that you have the right bill-of-materials and processes to make the right products.
Bill of Material (BOM) is a base functionality of setting up production module of an ERP system. A manufactured item consists of components, which are used to build the product through production operation(s). The main use of BOM is to define product structure of a manufactured end item.
Routing is another important base of production module, which defines the method of manufacturing. Method or route to be followed for manufacturing a product is a prerequisite for setting up production module.
With Maximprise Engineering, you can create and maintain a master list of products and purchased materials, including bills of materials (BOMs), material properties and specifications that allow procurement exactly as per requirement. You can create and maintain standard processes and routings, including multi-out routings. The routing information includes baseline production data needed to track production performance and incentive. Maximprise has built-in features for handling ETO Manufacturing out-of-the-box. The master lists can be used to create customer order specific BOM, Routing and Incentive baseline data. Maximprise Engineering allows creation of ETO Items, which are work-order specific variants of the same item master. This variant can have its own name, a different relationship between its dual units, and is managed separately in the Inventory module.
Bills of Materials
Classic Multi Level BOM
- Define the materials, components or ingredients of each product
- Specify component or consumption quantities in native units of measure
- Display BOMs via indented, exploded, drill-down or other views
- Nest unlimited build levels and unrestricted numbers of components
- Create ETO Items and add at any BOM level
- Each component is added against a process, allowing calculation of its position in the Process-Material Tree and material planning.
Material Head Wise List
Maximprise features another method for creation of BOM – head wise material list. In this feature, you can create material heads and pre-define their positions with respect to the process-material tree. This is usually a one-time activity during creation of a new product line. Then, materials are added against a material head, without the end-user having to worry about their position in the hierarchy. Maximprise Engineering creates the multi-level BOM automatically using the pre-defined process-head information.
- Define the material head and their relationship in the process-material tree
- Define material against material head
- Create multi-level BOM automatically
- End Result of the two approaches is same
Maximprise Engineering allows creation of a special costing bill-of-material, which is especially helpful for estimation and pricing during enquiry and quotation phase. In this feature, all materials are mapped to a costing object where cost is definable in Purchase module. A costing BOM can be entered against a specific enquiry or order and the system then uses this mapping to compute the total input material cost.
Maintain master material lists.
- Define coding system – denote what each digit means, maintain digit meaning tables and generate coding system manual
- Maintain detailed ordering specifications including revision numbers and manufacturer part numbers
- Maintain specification templates on the item category level
- Each material can be linked to multiple materials to create standard BOMs. These are then automatically picked up by the system during creation of order specific multi-level BOM.
Maintain detailed attributes via classification system.
- Define material specific attribute classes and use them to maintain detailed chemical and physical specifications. For example, specific properties for materials such as steel, aluminum and other metals can be maintained.
- List items with attributes as columns allowing easy sort and filter
Maintain master process routings.
- Maintain master processes and applicable routings
- Each routing contains a sequence of operations with operation number, operation name, approved work centers, crew size, setup, run, teardown requirements and other key routing data.
- Maintain sequence processes with material head dependency information. Multiple items can be produced by a single sequence process.
- Maintain multiple sequences signifying alternate sequences possible to manufacture product variants.
- Tie together and manage a manufacturing process of any length, including complex interconnections of components, routings, BOMs and multi-outs
Maintain production baseline data.
- This feature allows to maintain basic data required for Maximprise Production shop-floor performance gathering
- Each plan process can define various types and define basic productions per man-hour under that type.
- Example: Plan process painting can have "powder coating" and "spray painting" types. Under powder coating, we can define basic productions for different ranges such as 100-500 sqm, 500-1000 sqm etc. During actual production, shop floor performance can be benchmarked against this standard data.
Maintain order-specific routings
- For each order, you can pick up a standard routing and modify it as required.
- All routing data can be modified in the context of a work order to customize as per requirement.
- Each work-order sequence process contains actual material requirement and production baseline data.
- The standard and order-specific dual data maintenance structure ensures that standard data can be maintained and reused allowing engineering control.
Generation of BOM and Routing data is the main goal of any engineering department. In modern times, ensuring accurate and timely output while adhering to past practices and rules is a constant challenge. Maximprise Engineering helps you meet this challenge by allowing parametric generation of BOM and Routing data. You can define rules in terms of design parameters and then let Maximprise generate data on the basis of those rules and order-specific parameter values.
Define Routing and BOM rules
- Codify the business rules that determine the intricate interconnection of items, routings and components that must be derived from a particular selection of options for a configurable final product
- Rules are defined in an easy to use Excel like formula language in terms of input and calculated parameters
- Input parameter values can be input for each customer work order
- You can build your own spreadsheet based or programmed option configurator and import the parameter values into Maximprise
Generate Routing, BOM and Incentive Data
- Automatically generate the process routing of a configured product
- Automatically generate new item codes as per defined item coding system and parametric version templates
- Automatically generate ordering and costing BOM
- Drive the purchase of components and production of intermediate and final products